Friday, September 12, 2008

Foolash



This is my famous foolash and I'm going to share the secret ingredients with you all. Anything. Anything you've got can go into foolash. This is a mutation of my mom's goolash that I started when I was first living on my own and spending $35.00 per semester on groceries. (It can be done, I worked at a grocery store and had the advantage of free food dating). If you are down to the bare minimum in your pantry and for whatever reason you can't go to the store, this is a fun, and I'll admit, risky alternative. You just grab whatever is left and put it in a pot or pyrex dish and cook it until it is soft. A friend at work gave me some tomatoes but everything else was the canned or water proof stuff that survived the flooding. (The roof leaked above our pantry too.) I was giggling like mad as I had one genius thought after another to add cream of mushroom (watered down), curly noodles, the juice of some generic chicken noodle soup, chicken, lots of spices (I don't know which), almonds and something else but I've fogotten now. I baked it a 425 for 15 minutes. It was pretty salty but Scott tasted it and surprisingly said, "Pretty Good!" It's like gambling at Vegas and gives you a bit of a rush considering the nastiest tasting thing I ever put in my mouth was foolash. (Key lime stew foolash is not recommended!)

2 comments:

Mike and Jen said...

Okay so this was hilarious and disgusting all at the same time! Scott must really love you to put up with such foolash-ness. The rain in the house thing stinks though. I would have moved by now or made them pay me back rent! good luck

Britt said...

Scott--Seriuosly! We have a word for that in our house and it is "Gaggy". I don't recommend using it on Cassie until the seventh year of marriage though. I'll fill you in next time we talk. Until then your invited for dinner at our house anytime.